Saving the Goulburn-Murray bill: Overwhelming support
Posted by Dave Bath on 2009-02-07
I’ve just reviewed all 31 public submississions that were sent to the Senate Inquiry into the Water Amendment (Saving the Goulburn and Murray Rivers) Bill 2008.
There was overwhelming support for the bill, which would make Joh Brumby’s Nightmare come true.
If the bill doesn’t get through the federal parliament, it’s because there is a dirty political deal being done to avoid embarassing an ALP state premier.
There were no transcripts I could review, so the breakdown of submissions is as follows:
- Definitely in favor: 23
- In favor (anti-Brumby), but are perhaps are not explicit enough about supporting the bill: 4
- Marginal: 2
- Craig Ingram, State MLA for Gippsland, is in favor of the intent of the bill, but wants to ensure Snowy River environmental flows under previous agreements.
- One that is very waffly and off-topic … bit hard to say what it wants without spending a lot of time going through it
- Probably Against: 2
- Myrtleford irrigators, who don’t attack the bill directly, but want water for their farms
- Northern Victorian Irrigators Inc) that wants water in the Murray but thinks the bill is wrong-headed… that there are much better ways of doing it.
There was no submission from Joh Brumby‘s Vic government and tame contractors who want to put in a North-South pipeline to suck the Murray-Goulburn dry. Either they weren’t watching what was going on in Canberra so didn’t make a submission, or they are confident that their backroom dealings with Rudd will get what they want, despite overwhelming support for this private member’s bill that would stop his hateful pipe.
My thanks for participating in the democratic process to those who bothered to make submissions… even to the couple I don’t agree with!
- "Submissions about to close on Murray-Goulburn Protection Bill" (2009-01-21)
- "Brumby’s Nightmare: a Cth bill to stop his pipeline (2008-12-22)
- The sham that is the Melbourne Future Water Supply Inquiry in Victoria:
- "How to bury a parliamentary inquiry: delay reporting" (2008-12-22)
- "Melbourne Water Inquiry open for submissions (finally)" (2008-07-26)
- "Inquiry into Melbourne’s Future Water Supply" (2008-05-28)