Senators Bob Brown and Joyce on the same side
Posted by Dave Bath on 2009-12-01
Whoa! Do mine eyes deceive me? Senators Brown and Joyce officially in agreement to the extent of jointly sponsoring a bill with Xenophon?
…and on something that aims, at a sustainable environment, being nice to cuddly animals, and improving the working conditions of laborers?
From the announcement of the Senate inquiry into the Food Standards Truth In Labelling (Palm Oil) Bill 2009:
On 26 November 2009 the Senate, on the recommendation of the Selection of Bills Committee, referred the Food Standards Amendment (Truth in Labelling – Palm Oil) 2009 [introduced by Senators Xenophon, Bob Brown and Joyce] to the Community Affairs Legislation Committee for inquiry and report by 15 June 2010. The Bill will amend product information standards to provide for the accurate labelling of palm oil in food. The principal issues for consideration by the Committee are:
- The rights of consumers to be provided with accurate and truthful information to enable them to make an informed choice about the food products they are eating and purchasing;
- That allowing palm oil to be listed as “vegetable oil” on food packaging is misleading to consumers;
- That palm oil is considered high in saturated fats and consumers should be made aware if it is used in foods they are eating for health reasons;
- That the impact of palm oil production on wildlife, specifically Orang-utan’s in South East Asia is significant unless it is done sustainably;
- That sustainable palm oil can be produced with low impact on the environment and wildlife and with better labour laws on plantations; and
- That manufacturers should be encouraged to use sustainable palm oil in their production process and can subsequently use the status of “Certified Sustainable Palm Oil” as a business benefit.
Ummm… that’s Barnaby… unless there is another Senator Joyce and the official discussion of the inquiry forgot to mention which one!
So… who will be the first to make a submission to the inquiry and say something nice about all three Senators in the same sentence without a negative? Has this happened before?
I just hope some journo gets a photo of Joyce and Brown (and Xenophon), arm-in-arm at a joint press conference, smiling at each other, applauding each other’s policy position. There probably won’t be another chance.
A civilly unified position?