Assorted External Posts
Here are a few external posts I really like (or hate), even if the site/blog as a whole does not overlap much with my interests… No order to this yet. It will get bigger over time…
- Heaven Hotter Than Hell? (Science and Tech, Theology and Religion) A classic paper (with good science) that uses biblical quotations (e.g. rivers of sulphur implies a temperature range) to show that Heaven is hotter than Hell, along with a followup paper that shows that Heaven is awfully hot, but Hell is even hotter. Lots of thermodynamics!
- 1Q: How relevant are motives in assessing the public policy stance of a politician or commentator? from TigTog (Feminism, Australia, Politics) addresses her question with a very insightful analysis of the political environment and consequences of Cicero’s Pro Roscio a.k.a. For Sextus Roscius of Ameria (Translation at wikisource and commentary at Perseus/Tufts, or in the Original Latin for the poetry) which attacked the system of proscriptions of then dictator of Rome (Sulla), and is one of the most famous legal cases in history. Cicero is perhaps my all-time real-world hero.
- Pi = 3! Stand by your beliefs dammit! from the Gospel of Reason, going through the biblical texts showing that pi=3 (rather than 3.14159…). I want to see fundamentalist christians riding bicycles or cars with wheels that meet that biblical rule!
- Face of Tomorrow which I review here
- A few posts from The Economist when they were in a silly mood (the publication dates should be giveaways):
Starting to build up feed list (pref as webpages):