GOYA! GET OFF YOUR BACKSIDE!
This blog believes that people should get involved with our democratic process by letting your voice be heard through submissions to parliament. Even 1% of the time you spend writing your posts or comments in the blogosphere would be a huge improvement!
You can find out a list of inquiries (both into bills referred to committee and general enquiries) at the Current Inquiries By Subject at the Australian Parliament House.
Note that the times between advertising for public submissions and the closing date for submissions is getting tighter and tighter, but I can’t imagine it being under a working week, but just under a fortnight is quite common.
A list of RSS feeds from parliament is available here, which include those for newly announced inquiries and recently tabled reports. If you plan on rocking up in person, try the upcoming hearings feed.
You can see a list of my personal submissions (some short, some longer) to give you an idea of how little you need to do: basically your entire submission could be “I support the bill” or “I urge parliament to reject the bill”.
(If the lists below are outdated, you can always use this search for my stuff in aph.gov.au)
- Cluster Munitions (Prohibition) Bill 2006 and my submission, and those of mates Kieran Bennett and Chris Flynn. You can see that even individuals like us can be noticed if you read the final report Sections 5.2, 5.4 and 5.5.
- Human Services (Enhanced Service Delivery) Bill 2007 a.k.a “AccessCard”, the final report, my submission and a Defence Signals Directorate Note to the committee that directly addresses some of the issues I raised.
- Communications Legislation Amendment (Content Services) Bill 2007 and my submission.
- Australian Citizenship Amendment (Citizenship Testing) Bill 2007 and my submission (and a horrifying submission from Australia for Australians that is worth reading to see exactly who this bill was meant to please). Other submissions are here, while the report is here.
- Northern Territory National Emergency Response Bill 2007 & Related Bills, and my very rushed submission.
- My submission – (very rushed excuse the typos) to Victoria’s Melbourne’s Future Water Supply Inquiry.
- My rushed (excuse typos) submission to the senate inquiry into the Water Amendment (Saving the Goulburn and Murray Rivers) Bill 2008 and my review of submissions made to the inquiry
- My submission to the Senate Inquiry on Disability Discrimination and Other Human Rights Legislation Amendment Bill 2008
- SOON: The Stimulus Package
- Gene Patents and my submission (2009-03-19)
- Carbon Pollution Reduction Scheme and my submission
Feel free to add a link to a submission you have made as a private individual
See also related posts:
- "Cluster Bombs: Hang your head in shame Australia!" (2007-06-02)
- "My Submission on Content Services Bill 2007 Published" (2007-05-30)
- "Human Services are too dumb to manage a smart card" (2007-02-22)
- "Isreali war machine helps Australian democracy?" (2007-03-18)
- "Senate IT Committee System outage woes" (2007-05-27)
- "Review of
JingoismCitizenship Testing Bill Submissions" (2007-07-05)